18 November 2019

Satyameva Jayate: Life, Career, Success & Truth

'Satyameva Jayate' means 'Only truth wins'. We always interpret this as 'Truth always wins over falsehood'. That is – we think the statement is about truth vs falsehood: so truth wins and falsehood loses.

There is another way of looking at this statement. All of us want to succeed in our lives and our careers. Whenever we are not satisfied with our lives or careers, we read books/articles and watch videos on 'How to succeed'. That is – we look for tips/tactics/techniques on how to succeed. This is a narrow view. The real answer is contained in this timeless line from the Mundaka Upanishad: Satyameva Jayate – only truth wins. So if I am not winning/succeeding, that means only one thing: I am not walking the path of truth; I am not living a life of truth; I am not doing truthful work. That is – the line is not just about truth vs falsehood. It is also about truth vs ME! So I must constantly ask myself: Am I walking the path of truth? Am I living a life of truth? Am I doing truthful work? If I am not, then no amount of tips/tactics/techniques (from books/videos/articles) will help me to become successful.

No comments: